March is a big month for the release of some of Hollywood’s hottest Blu-ray disc tiles featuring a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Lionsgate previously announced its 4th Blu-ray disc with Dolby Atmos, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 (Subjective Atmos Sound Quality: 5/5). This week Universal Pictures Home Entertainment officially announced the release Unbroken (Release date March 24, 2015). In addition, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment recently announced the Gravity Diamond Luxe edition official street date slated for March 31, 2015.
Gravity, which won Oscars® for Music (Original Score), Sound Editing and Sound Mixing, is the first Blu-ray title from WBHE to be available with the revolutionary new audio technology Dolby Atmos. “While Gravity is known for its stunning visuals, the unprecedented recognition given to its extraordinary achievements in sound underscore why we felt it so vital to include the new Dolby Atmos technology for this new special edition release,” said Jeff Baker Executive Vice President and General Manager, Theatrical Catalog.
Unbroken, nominated for 2015 Oscars® in the Best Achievement in Sound Editing and Sound Mixing categories, is the first Blu-ray title from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment to be available with Dolby Atmos. The Unbroken sound team credits Dolby Atmos with helping put the audience in the extreme situations that World War II hero Louis Zamperini experienced—hurtling airplanes, vast oceans, and oppressive jungles. “This film was served well by [Dolby] Atmos,” said Montaño, the sound rerecording mixer. The effect “was subtle, but very precise.” “When you’re in the ocean, when you’re in the jungle and you hear the bugs, you just feel like you’re in that space,” said Andrew DeCristofaro, the supervising sound editor. “It feels more realistic.”
For the latest slate of Dolby Atmos Blu-ray disc titles released and announced please see below.
- Transformers: Age of Extinction (Paramount Pictures) Subjective Atmos Sound Quality: 3/5
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Paramount Pictures) Subjective Atmos Sound Quality: 1/5
- Step up All In (Lionsgate) Subjective Atmos Sound Quality: 4/5
- Expendables 3 (Lionsgate) Subjective Atmos Sound Quality: 5/5
- John Wick (Lionsgate) Subjective Atmos Sound Quality: 5/5
- On Any Sunday (Red Bull Media House) Subjective Atmos Sound Quality: 2/5
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 (Lionsgate) Subjective Atmos Sound Quality: 5/5
- Unbroken (Universal): Release date March 24, 2015
- Gravity (Warner Bros.): Release date March 31, 2015